Funchal is the capital of Madeira and lies on the south coast of the island. It is also a port and huge cruise liners frequently discharge their guests for a day sightseeing on the island.
Funchal, the largest city on the island of Madeira, could be an excellent base for a Madeiran holiday. With plenty of Madeiran charm, shops, restaurants and ample opportunities to enjoy café society, Funchal is big enough to offer visitors plenty of choice and facilities. The best places to stay in Funchal itself are near the centre for those looking to make the most of what the city has to offer.
Those looking for peace and tranquillity may prefer to stay close to Funchal rather than in the heart of the city centre.
Things to see and do on a Self-Catering Holiday in Funchal
- Visitors to Madeira come for the sub-tropical flowers and year round sunshine. Exotic flowers and fruit are on sale in the markets and bird of paradise are among the brilliant coloured flowers that grow in mass profusion on the rocky hillsides.
- While away the hours socialising over a coffee or tea in one of Funchal’s many cafes and bars.
- Take the cable car up to the botanical gardens and enjoy the array of tropical plants which flourish in the Madeiran climate.
- Take the cable car up to Monte where you can see some beautiful historical buildings and soak up fantastic views of the city of Funchal down below.
- Visit Boa Vista Gardens and see their beautiful selection of orchids.
Funchal offers plenty of appeal for discovering some of the best of Madeira on a self-catering holiday. Hiring a car and getting out and exploring Madeira and the wonderful levada walks is also a great thing to do. Much of Madeira is mountainous and the terrain offers dramtic views of terraced slopes and dome of the most terrifying cliffs in the world. The entire island is tunneled by a network of roads to enable fast access from one part of Madeira to another so staying in Funchal you can still easily get out and explore.
Find Holiday Homes in Funchal by Town